Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Well, Here Goes..........

Greetings! Welcome to an unofficial blog of the Colorado Eagles. I have thought off and on for several years about writing a blog pertaining to my favorite hockey team, the Colorado Eagles. Well, I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes.

First, let me tell you a little about myself. My Mom is from Canada and my Dad, El Paso, so I figure you can guess where my hockey genes came from. I have lived most of my life in Colorado, and was an on and off hockey fan until my friend's Dad purchased season tickets for the new IHL team in Denver, the Grizzlies. They were the farm team for the New York Islanders, and I got to see future NHL'ers like Ziggy Palffy and Tommy Salo. The coach was Butch Goring, who won 4 cups with the Islanders in the early 80's. The Grizz won the Turner Cup in '95 and I was hooked on live hockey.

The next thing you know, the Grizzlies were gone and replaced by the Avalanche who went on to win the Cup in their first year in Denver. My friend's father had purchased season tickets for the Avs after the Grizzlies left, and I was able to attend quite a few games to watch the best players in the world.

Well, after a few cups the ticket prices were too much for my buddies Dad. I couldn't nearly attend as many games as I used to, but with my son starting hockey at age 5,(he was 5 months old when the Avs won their first cup) I was starting down a path of financial destruction that most hockey parents are familiar with. I couldn't afford to go to the games.

Then one day at the rink I saw a pamphlet for a new minor league team about 40 miles north of us. 16 bucks a seat! I could swing that. 12 years, 2 leagues, 5 finals appearances, 2 championships and about 400 plus games later, I'm hooked on Eagles hockey. So we will see how the blogging thing works out....

I will write personal opinion posts and newsworthy posts. I don't really have much inside information, but I do run across things at games and through internet research that might be of interest to other fans of the ECHL and the Eagles in particular.

So feel free to leave feedback, good and bad. Any suggestions on the site or the content will be appreciated!

Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment